- Extract the installation package for VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-######.exe using 7-Zip.
- Go to the “redist\dotnet” folder from the package you extracted and install dotnetfx35.exe. If prompted, let it download and install additional files.
- Go to the “redist\viresist” folder from the package you extracted and install vjredist64.exe for 64 bit Windows or vjredist32.exe for 32 bit Windows.
- Go to the “bin” folder from the package you extracted and right click on VMware-viclient.exe and then “Properties”
- Go to the “Compatibility” tab and select “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and then select “Windows 7″ – Click “Ok”
- Now go ahead and install “VMware-viclient” normally.
If this doesn’t work for your, download the VSphere Client for 5.1 Update 2 which will install on Windows 8 natively.